Anime Addicted
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toronto woman to get $110,000 a month in spousal support

2 posters

Go down

Toronto woman to get $110,000 a month in spousal support Empty Toronto woman to get $110,000 a month in spousal support

Post by Yanjin Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:58 am

The Globe and Mail wrote:A 61-year-old Toronto woman whose marriage fell apart after 33 years has won a record-setting spousal support award of $110,000 a month.

The extraordinary award – which also included two years of retroactive support at $140,000 a month – was based on the length of Carol Ann Elgner's marriage to Claude Elgner, coupled with Mr. Elgner's annual income of $3-million to $4-million.

Julie Hannaford, a lawyer representing Ms. Elgner, says the amount reflects a growing feeling within the judiciary that spousal support has not kept up with the times.

“It was always thought of as something that keeps the heat and lights on, and the gas in your car,” she said. “Courts are taking a very different view of support – especially in cases where there is a high income. Spousal support used to be kind of punitive against wives. I think there is a stripping away of that kind of undercurrent.”

Ms. Hannaford said Thursday that family lawyers she has spoken to agree it is the largest spousal-support award ever in Canada.

“You never expect an award of that amount,” she said. “You never really know what to expect.”

The couple separated in 2007, after Ms. Elgner had spent their entire married life at home raising their three children – now aged 31, 28 and 27. During that time, Mr. Elgner's businesses – supplying plastic fixtures used in automotive interiors – grew at a colossal rate.

The main companies he owns are ABC Group Realty Holdings and Elgner Group Investments Ltd.

“The parties, late in the marriage, took on an elegant lifestyle,” Madam Justice Susan Greer of Ontario Superior Court said in the judgment. “By the time they separated, they travelled extensively from one residence to another, and spent time at their various timeshares.”

Their assets included a $1.5-million home in Toronto, a $2.6-million summer residence in Muskoka, a $3.5-million home in Florida and a condo in Whistler, B.C., along with five timeshares.

“The wife should not have to eradicate her savings to pay for her living expenses,” Judge Greer said. “She sacrificed a career to be a stay-at-home wife and mother for all those years. This is a family with extensive wealth, and both parties should live out their retirement years in a style that can easily be afforded.”

Mr. Elgner, 62, argued at trial that his former wife has already received $6.2-million in cash and investments directly from him, and that his remaining wealth ought to be largely excluded from the net family assets that are equalized at the time of a divorce.

He also pointed out that Ms. Elgner received $775,443 in after-tax income last year, largely as a result of dividends.

However, in a financial statement prepared for the court, Ms. Elgner said her monthly expenses last year were $115,439, part of which goes to support her sister and much of which went into home repairs, maintenance and gardening.

“The wife says that in 2009, her expenses have decreased to $88,790.33 per month,” Judge Greer said. “This equates to $1,065,483.90 per year.”

The judge noted that Mr. Elgner's income could soar above its current level of nearly $4-million a year.

“It is a reasonable inference that his income may go higher than that, depending on what he requires and how he and his brother – as directors of the various corporate interests – determined what each brother's income should be each year,” she said.

The judge took into account the fact that Ms. Elgner is not employable.
Read more: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto-woman-to-get-110000-a-month-in-spousal-support/article1387979/

This is just bullshit, that's HIS money for fuck's sake, if the woman was the rich one I bet that guy wouldn't get a penny!
Yanjin
Yanjin
Admin

https://animeaddicted.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Toronto woman to get $110,000 a month in spousal support Empty Re: Toronto woman to get $110,000 a month in spousal support

Post by Gritasa Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:42 pm

In the Netherlands the person with the money have to pay.. XD So if a man makes the most money.. The woman get something of the money..

and if the woman makes the most.. the man get something..

so... I don't know how it is in other country's
Gritasa
Gritasa

Back to top Go down

Toronto woman to get $110,000 a month in spousal support Empty Re: Toronto woman to get $110,000 a month in spousal support

Post by Yanjin Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:56 pm

I don't agree with that system, it's completely stupid, it should be different if kids are involved but otherwise, no.
Yanjin
Yanjin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gritasa Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:38 am

When.. your living with someone with a lot of money.. You will get a kind of life-style,
My grandma gets a lot of money from my grandpa.. to support the life style she got during there marriage..
Gritasa
Gritasa

Back to top Go down

Post by Yanjin Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:55 am

Well if the Marriage breaksdown it should be the rich person's choice whether they give away their money or not, it's their money after all, not the spouses.
Yanjin
Yanjin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gritasa Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:40 am

I don't think so.. The person who pays the other person money gets a lot more back from taxes..

Like my grandparents there story,
My grandma was 15 years old, he 17, and when my grandma was 21 they got married an a kid. My grandpa had a good job, and didn't want my grandma to work she had to care for the kids.. She didn't mind and did as he pleased.. She never worked any more accept volunteer, but 7 years ago they got dissaforced.

Neather both have to care for the kids.. because they al where grown up. But my grandma had a life style of spending money and not working.

But you claim that when there are no kids in the game, the other person needs to find out how to live on there own? Because in the netherlands you won't get money than.. From nobody.. So you think every one in that position needs to live under a bridge??
Gritasa
Gritasa

Back to top Go down

Post by Yanjin Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:03 am

Surely your Grandma had her OWN money and not just your Grandfather's, it really is completely conditional but in this instance that woman doesn't need 110,00 dollars a month, to put that into perspective for you it's around 80,000 euros...That's way more than most people earn in a year.
Yanjin
Yanjin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down